not only be pardoned, but should have lands grantedthem;
"Hello," replied Cameron, slowly. "Any mineral sign to-day?"
They made camp together, ate their frugal meal, smoked a pipe, and rolled in their blankets without exchanging many words. In the morning the same reticence, the same aloofness characterized the manner of both. But Cameron's companion, when he had packed his burro and was ready to start, faced about and said: "We might stay together, if it's all right with you."
"I never take a partner," replied Cameron.
"You're alone; I'm alone," said the other, mildly. "It's a big place. If we find gold there'll be enough for two."
"I don't go down into the desert for gold alone," rejoined Cameron, with a chill note in his swift reply.
His companion's deep-set, luminous eyes emitted a singular flash. It moved Cameron to say that in the years of his wandering he had meant no man who could endure equally with him the blasting heat, the blinding dust storms, the wilderness of sand and rock and lava and cactus, the terrible silence and desolation of the desert. Cameron waved a hand toward the wide, shimmering, shadowy descent of plain and range. "I may strike through the Sonora Desert. I may head for Pinacate or north for the Colorado Basin. You are an old man."
"I don't know the country, but to me one place is the same as another," replied his companion. for moments he seemed to forget himself, and swept his far-reaching gaze out over the colored gulf of stone and sand. Then with gentle slaps he drove his burro in behind Cameron. "Yes, I'm old. I'm lonely, too. It's come to me just lately. but, friend, I can still travel, and for a few days my company won't hurt you."
"Have it your way," said Cameron.
- good old blooms of northern Europe which My Dear had so
- No, no, my friend, you may not be very clear about many
- You exist in this life in the world of the relative, where
- created a Self—and a life for the Self—which needs
- Max realized that he must lower his head if he would follow.
- are created out of consciousness. In-dividual consciousness
- For all of life exists as a tool of your own creation,
- Actions are words moving. Words are thoughts ex-pressed.
- but he had not been as idle as he appeared to have been.
- you. This does not make the realm of the relative real.
- and for, the creation. Such taking for granted is not only
- so that I could devote more time to “God stuff,” to
- at our arrival, and said one to the other, “This is the
- God. Everything your heart experiences about God tells
- I will ever learn? What do I have to do to make it happen?
- of the worst experiences of life (as you would define them).
- of three-halfpence, two fowls, one of which, the Indian
- whether they play tag, or hide and seek, or pretend? No,
- thoughts around it—thoughts which are crea-tive. You
- come upon you at anytime), you, too, will feel as I do
- that she might honestly give him the answer that he demanded.
- Yet hold to your beliefs, and stay true to your values,
- So this is very often what has happened in the case of
- thing, God has realized Itself, and needs nothing more.
- innocent purpose: each parish has a public musket, and
- You do not live each day to discover what it holds for
- This urge to do this is called passion. Kill passion and
- these special others begin to reclaim their real selves,
- to peer through the fog ahead, he turned and descended
- of seeking love of Self through love for another. Of course,
- If, therefore, you have caught yourself in an unGodly act
- you will eliminate it, think again. You only plant it more
- the gunpowder was wanted for making a noise on their saint
- In song and story, in poetry and dance, in words and in
- by one of two emotions—fear or love. In truth there are
- it as much as we can? What gives? For that matter, why
- wooden steps. He drew himself closely to these, and directed
- you to create, express, and experience higher and higher
- much less than magnificent you are? From the only people
- To each of them am I now speaking. I know who every one
- was the especial pride and joy of My Dear and Meriem. The
- My most powerful messenger is experience, and even this
- get. My life has not been a testimony to that. In fact,
- N’est ce pas? How is it therefore necessary to command
- The other he ordered straight westward with orders to halt
- you as less than Who I Am so that you could have the chance
- God is the observer, not the creator. And God stands ready
- lived—not as disembodied spirits in the realm of the
- composed. When we reached Lemuy we had much difficulty
- your life—”This is my creation (son), in which I am