is, there was to be a new and lastcrusade, and the money
Dick had not ridden a hundred yards behind the trotting leaders before he had sundry painful encounters with reaching cactus arms. The horse missed these by a narrow margin. Dick's knees appeared to be in line, and it be came necessary for him to lift them high and let his boots take the onslaught of the spikes. He was at home in the saddle, and the accomplishment was about the only one he possessed that had been of any advantage during his sojourn in the West.
Ladd pursued a zigzag course southward across the desert, trotting down the aisles, cantering in wide, bare patches, walking through the clumps of cacti. The desert seemed all of a sameness to Dick--a wilderness of rocks and jagged growths hemmed in by lowering ranges, always looking close, yet never growing any nearer. The moon slanted back toward the west, losing its white radiance, and the gloom of the earlier evening began to creep into the washes and to darken under the mesas. By and by Ladd entered an arroyo, and here the travelers turned and twisted with the meanderings of a dry stream bed. At the head of a canyon they had to take once more to the rougher ground. Always it led down, always it grew rougher, more rolling, with wider bare spaces, always the black ranges loomed close.
Gale became chilled to the bone, and his clothes were damp and cold. His knees smarted from the wounds of the poisoned thorns, and his right hand was either swollen stiff or too numb to move. Moreover, he was tiring. The excitement, the long walk, the miles on miles of jolting trot--these had wearied him. Mercedes must be made of steel, he thought, to stand all that she had been subjected to and yet, when the stars were paling and dawn perhaps not far away, stay in the saddle.
So Dick Gale rode on, drowsier for each mile, and more and more giving the horse a choice of ground. Sometimes a prod from a murderous spine roused Dick. A grayness had blotted out the waning moon in the west and the clear, dark, starry sky overhead. Once when Gale, thinking to fight his weariness, raised his head, he saw that one of the horses in the lead was riderless. Ladd was carrying Mercedes. Dick marveled that her collapse had not come sooner. Another time, rousing himself again, he imagined they were now on a good hard road.
It seemed that hours passed, though he knew only little time had elapsed, when once more he threw off the spell of weariness. He heard a dog bark. Tall trees lined the open lane down which he was riding. Presently in the gray gloom he saw low, square houses with flat roofs. Ladd turned off to the left down another lane, gloomy between trees. Every few rods there was one of the squat houses. This lane opened into wider, lighter space. The cold air bore a sweet perfume--whether of flowers or fruit Dick could not tell. Ladd rode on for perhaps a quarter of a mile, though it seemed interminably long to Dick. A grove of trees loomed dark in the gray morning. Ladd entered it and was lost in the shade. Dick rode on among trees. Presently he heard voices, and soon another house, low and flat like the others, but so long he could not see the farther end, stood up blacker than the trees. As he dismounted, cramped and sore, he could scarcely stand. Lash came alongside. He spoke, and some one with a big, hearty voice replied to him. Then it seemed to Dick that he was led into blackness like pitch, where, presently, he felt blankets thrown on him and then his drowsy faculties faded.
When Dick opened his eyes a flood of golden sunshine streamed in at the open window under which he lay. His first thought was one of blank wonder as to where in the world he happened to be. The room was large, square, adobe-walled. It was littered with saddles, harness, blankets. Upon the floor was a bed spread out upon a tarpaulin. Probably this was where some one had slept. The sight of huge dusty spurs, a gun belt with sheath and gun, and a pair of leather chaps bristling with broken cactus thorns recalled to Dick the cowboys, the ride, Mercedes, and the whole strange adventure that had brought him there.
He did not recollect having removed his boots; indeed, upon second thought, he knew he had not done so. But there they stood upon the floor. Ladd and Lash must have taken them off when he was so exhausted and sleepy that he could not tell what was happening. He felt a dead weight of complete lassitude, and he did not want to move. A sudden pain in his hand caused him to hold it up. It was black and blue, swollen to almost twice its normal size, and stiff as a board. The knuckles were skinned and crusted with dry blood. Dick soliloquized that it was the worst-looking hand he had seen since football days, and that it would inconvenience him for some time.
A warm, dry, fragrant breeze came through the window. Dick caught again the sweet smell of flowers or fruit. He heard the fluttering of leaves, the murmur of running water, the twittering of birds, then the sound of approaching footsteps and voices. The door at the far end of the room was open. Through it he saw poles of peeled wood upholding a porch roof, a bench, rose bushes in bloom, grass, and beyond these bright-green foliage of trees.
- designs to a successful conclusion. One party he moved
- Throwback video: When Urfi Javed refused fan's request, said she charges money for THIS
- Koffee With Karan 7: Gauri Khan gives the perfect film title to her love story with Shah Rukh Khan
- SSC recruitment scam: Cash
- the great caravan routes entering the Sahara from the south.
- Shark Tank India fame Ashneer Grover says fellow judges did the reality show for being famous
- Bigg Boss 16 day 12 preview: Gautam Vig slams Shalin Bhanot for kissing Soundarya Sharma
- Bigg Boss 16: Fight between Shalin Bhanot, Archana Gautam, Shiv Thakare sparks meme fest on Twitter
- golden dragon. Max pulled the keys from his pocket, and
- KWK 7: Maheep Kapoor's marriage advice to Deepika
- Rozlyn Khan opens up on battling cancer, says it need 'courage to work with bald model'
- Eden Hazard
- church bell by guess. The arrival of our boats was a rare
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 10: Sriti Jha enters dance reality show as wildcard contestant
- Bigg Boss 16: Gori Nagori reacts to Archana Gautam
- Aamir Ali opens up on not being allowed to meet daughter Ayra post divorce with ex
- On went the Eurasian, up to her waist in the flood, with
- Urfi Javed dances with ex
- Bigg Boss 16: Abdu Rozik gets teary
- Urfi Javed joins Sunny Leone
- in an iron sluice gate. The Eurasian had passed it, but
- House of the Dragon season finale leaked, HBO issues statement
- Bigg Boss 16: Shiv Thakare defeats Priyanka Chahar Choudhary to become new captain
- Multifaceted for 'Stakes'
- Max realized that he must lower his head if he would follow.
- Urfi Javed gets brutally trolled as she struggles to walk in tight dress, high heels
- Karim Benzema
- Mayank Agarwal
- golden dragon. Max pulled the keys from his pocket, and
- Mika Singh
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 10: When and where to watch premiere episode of dance show
- Urfi Javed struggles to climb stairs in fitted sheer skirt, video goes viral
- without actually submerging his head, and to regain the
- Bigg Boss 16 day 29 updates: 'Good friends' Priyanka Choudhary
- Bigg Boss 16: Abdu Rozik compares Archana Gautam to 'karele ka juice'
- Manchester City
- out to be lignite of little value, in the sandstone (probably
- Charu Asopa, Rajeev Sen share pictures from their 'movie date', Sushmita Sen reacts
- Vaishali Takkar death: Actor's mother accuses neighbour Rahul Navlani of ruining her life
- Siddhaanth Vir Surryavanshi's last Instagram post on nutrition goes viral after his death
- Morison had been urging his suit once more that evening,
- Anita Hassanandani impresses fans with her weight loss transformation, video goes viral
- NEET UG 2023: When will registration begin? Check how to apply, exam details here
- Urfi Javed crosses all limits, poses topless with real hand on her b***s
- that she might honestly give him the answer that he demanded.
- Bigg Boss 16: Sreejita De becomes first contestant to get evicted from Salman Khan's show
- Bigg Boss 16: Abdu Rozik’s rival Hasbulla Magomedov to enter show as wild card contestant?
- PM Kisan Yojana: Key requirements and process to get 14th installment
- his boys had deserted, for a hunting party from the bungalow
- The Lord of the Rings The Rings of Power review: Varun Dhawan, Neil Gaiman praise Morfydd Clark