though in an humble fashion, give to Columbus an opportunity
"I think so; but she didn't wait for me to introduce myself."
"That was Nell Burton, my girl--step-daughter, I should say," said Belding. "She's sure some whirlwind, as Laddy calls her. Come, let's go in and meet the wife."
The house was long, like a barracks, with porch extending all the way, and doors every dozen paces. When Dick was ushered into a sitting-room, he was amazed at the light and comfort. This room had two big windows and a door opening into a patio, where there were luxuriant grass, roses in bloom, and flowering trees. He heard a slow splashing of water.
In Mrs. Belding, Gale found a woman of noble proportions and striking appearance. Her hair was white. She had a strong, serious, well-lined face that bore haunting evidences of past beauty. The gaze she bent upon him was almost piercing in its intensity. Her greeting, which seemed to Dick rather slow in coming, was kind though not cordial. Gale's first thought, after he had thanked these good people for their hospitality, was to inquire about Mercedes. He was informed that the Spanish girl had awakened with a considerable fever and nervousness. When, however, her anxiety had been allayed and her thirst relieved, she had fallen asleep again. Mrs. Belding said the girl had suffered no great hardship, other than mental, and would very soon be rested and well.
"Now, Gale," said Belding, when his wife had excused herself to get supper, "the boys, Jim and Laddy, told me about you and the mix-up at Casita. I'll be glad to take care of the girl till it's safe for your soldier friend to get her out of the country. That won't be very soon, don't mistake me....I don't want to seem over-curious about you--Laddy has interested me in you--and straight out I'd like to know what you propose to do now."
"I haven't any plans," replied Dick; and, taking the moment as propitious, he decided to speak frankly concerning himself. "I just drifted down here. My home is in Chicago. When I left school some years ago--I'm twenty-five now--I went to work for my father. He's--he has business interests there. I tried all kinds of inside jobs. I couldn't please my father. I guess I put no real heart in my work. the fact was I didn't know how to work. The governor and I didn't exactly quarrel; but he hurt my feelings, and I quit. Six months or more ago I came West, and have knocked about from Wyoming southwest to the border. I tried to find congenial work, but nothing came my way. To tell you frankly, Mr. Belding, I suppose I didn't much care. I believe, though, that all the time I didn't know what I wanted. I've learned--well, just lately--"
"What do you want to do?" interposed Belding.
"I want a man's job. I want to do things with my hands. I want action. I want to be outdoors."
- might have noticed the reduced numbers of his following.
- of there more and more. In the morning, I see all the New
- for the artist's taste and the writer's taste. It was a
- an alternative — a teenage pregnancy bill, where girls
- her arms, and laughed shrilly, insanely. Then she turned
- It's 10 seconds before midnight on Sunday evening. Time
- Robert Violante, who was shot and partially blinded by
- there was my picture on the front page. I said, 'But your
- the catacombs. Max glanced at the white face of Helen Cumberly,
- son — this is one of my great, great achievements —
- fit him poorly, even though it was as a conservative that
- Hamburg Opera. After that she plans some orchestral and
- In the morning I asked a young Indian, who was wet to the
- I sleep with an earplug in my ear, tuned to WCBS or WINS
- to go back to Europe and rewrite his travel guide, for
- the most sought-after lecturers in the country. Despite
- the leadership of each to men whom he believed that he
- from the Far East to New York City. Europe On $10 A Day
- commercials, the best known of which are for Mobil and
- it last October at the Circle Rep Lab, and it was very
- stars and waiting. He had lain thus and there many nights
- later, the Friedans moved to the suburbs, and it was there
- analysis of the postwar back to the home movement, when
- and his wife Hope have revisited the 17 European cities
- and gunpowder. The latter article was required for a very
- it if it's a matter of medical necessity. Otherwise, there
- the Songwriters Hall of Fame, Sammy devotes much of his
- by seeing us, because for a whole generation the Chinese
- mud-banks as the tide falls. They occasionally possess
- said I was looking for Miss Right, and I got inundated
- was quite successful. The boy that plays John-Boy on the
- up strictly to paint, and does so with such skill and efficiency
- in all the finer points of big game hunting. Of an evening
- with their siblings. A lot of men have told me they cried
- sit down to talk, he answers most of my questions with
- or not, is a winning song. At the end of it, the girl says,
- lamp was incapable of penetrating the fog. He groped with
- his brother Edward's Peerless Oil and Chemical Corporation.
- film the next year, with Henry Fonda's screen premiere.
- last mayoral election, it was the conservatives who did
- their terrible ordeals in the untracked jungle to the south;
- food job in America astonished no one more than himself,
- revealing the two qualities that have enabled her to remain
- living with us now. She's like a little daughter, and I
- mist seemed to float above the water. This mist had a familiar
- of their readership. And editors insisted on tailoring
- The only difference is, she's my age. So of course her
- all nations governed by law, of all free democracies that
- composed. When we reached Lemuy we had much difficulty
- the boulder down the hill, but after that, there's only