an active one. He had attempted the solution of a certain
"Every ranch loves his horses," said Belding. "When I was in the Panhandle I had some fine stock. But these are Mexican. They came from Durango, where they were bred. Mexican horses are the finest in the world, bar none."
"Shore I reckon I savvy why you don't sleep nights," drawled Laddy. "I see a Greaser out there--no, it's an Indian."
"That's my Papago herdsman. I keep watch over the horses now day and night. Lord, how I'd hate to have Rojas or Salazar--any of those bandit rebels--find my horses!...Gale, can you ride?"
Dick modestly replied that he could, according to the Eastern idea of horsemanship.
"You don't need to be half horse to ride one of that bunch. But over there in the other field I've iron-jawed broncos I wouldn't want you to tackle--except to see the fun. I've an outlaw I'll gamble even Laddy can't ride."
"So. How much'll you gamble?" asked Laddy, instantly.
The ringing of a bell, which Belding said was a call to supper, turned the men back toward the house. Facing that way, Gale saw dark, beetling ridges rising from the oasis and leading up to bare, black mountains. He had heard Belding call them No Name Mountains, and somehow the appellation suited those lofty, mysterious, frowning peaks.
It was not until they reached the house and were about to go in that Belding chanced to discover Gale's crippled hand.
- big farm, evidently finding in the society of this rougher
- wind-swept plain dotted with tumuli dating from unknown
- and he gone so long no one don’t think of him no more.”
- Another foreign adventure that I remember, though I must
- the sailors bought with a stick of tobacco, of the value
- when he was apprised of them my indignant father burst
- about the Continent I cannot conceive. Or perhaps I used
- It seems that I was a whimsical child. At least Hocking,
- innocent purpose: each parish has a public musket, and
- in short, that Time is the only true critic, and that its
- but at the Wood Farm on that property whither, on her return
- purchased by scholars preparing themselves for a prosperous
- to have a good idea of time, was employed to strike the
- I set out for the shore husbanding my strength and got
- to be seen over the gateway of Rye House, which he appears
- deal of what I have written is doomed to swift oblivion,
- and one man even sent us a cask of cider as a present.
- Afterwards I attempted something much more ambitious, namely,
- down my experiences. Even now I have not abandoned the
- for the Fellows of one of the Oxford colleges. Twice, if
- solid wall opened before her; it was another masked door.
- the bread of myself and others out of a kind of by-product
- my father and the master of the school, which resulted
- going some way up the beach, where I thought we should
- and phlox that drew him to the perfumed air of the garden,
- and in the neighbouring church their arms, which are practically
- in that city. His only son, also named William Henry, my
- remembered, and I can only hope that my belief in the vitality
- On went the Eurasian, up to her waist in the flood, with
- prolonged effort exhaustion overtook me, and I retired
- at St. Petersburg April 19, 1817, and in 1844 married my
- have found the time by writing in the mornings — which,
- had come across his northerly camp and he feared that they
- out during the years 1901 and 1902, which was published
- of slates in a corner, where I lay a while almost senseless.
- bigger and finer than any that grow nowadays, I went to
- in which they are here mentioned, expressing their respective
- election, and I almost carried one of the most difficult
- The Rectory, long ago pulled down, was a low grey house
- The answer, that even then struck me as very appropriate,
- He divided his small following into two parties, entrusting
- or is to be accounted for by a quarrel with the clergyman,
- and the answering shouts of “Yah! Froggie, allez a votre
- to spend an arduous year or so in classifying and writing
- reason to believe her dead, and that it was because of
- as I know well that I should have done. Even if I could
- that once had served as a place of refuge in time of plague
- three classes, and as there is other work which I should
- either a watch or a clock; and an old man who was supposed
- to have frightened him very much. His son, William Henry,