added, to the request he made, astatement that a tempest
"I'll tell you, boys, I'll ride in myself with Carter. There's business I can see to, and I'm curious to know what the rebels are doing. Laddy, keep one eye open while I'm gone. See the horses are locked up....Gale, I'm going to Casita myself. Ought to get back tomorrow some time. I'll be ready to start in an hour. Have your letter ready. And say--if you want to write home it's a chance. Sometimes we don't go to the P. O. in a month.
He tramped out, followed by the tall cowboys, and then Dick was enabled to bring his letter to a close. Mercedes came back, and her eyes were shining. Dick imagined a letter received from her would be something of an event for a fellow. Then, remembering Belding's suggestion, he decided to profit by it.
"May I trouble you to write antoher for me?" asked Dick, as he received the letter from Nell.
"It's no trouble, I'm sure--I'd be pleased," she replied.
That was altogether a wonderful speech of hers, Dick thought, because the words were the first coherent ones she had spoken to him.
"May I stay?" asked Mercedes, smiling.
"By all means," he answered, and then he settled back and began.
Presently Gale paused, partly because of genuine emotion, and stole a look from under his hand at Nell. She wrote swiftly, and her downcast face seemed to be softer in its expression of sweetness. If she had in the very least been drawn to him-- But that was absurd--impossible!
- And thus matters stood when, one hot night, Meriem, unable
- spoken of. I think it nothing less than tragic that these
- My first idea of course when I recovered my senses was
- I heard amazing things, written a novel entitled Theo,
- was anxious to examine a reported coal-mine which turned
- any way possible, by hook or by crook, and to lose no time
- would show. Years later McCord confided to me in the most
- picture. With the impetuosity of youth and curiosity and
- reason to believe her dead, and that it was because of
- seemed intensely beautiful to me at the time, this book,
- in a profession that was hourly revealing the fact that
- to shine thus? Never to be an artist? Never to have beauty
- either a watch or a clock; and an old man who was supposed
- seemed to assist me, far above my willing or even my dreams.
- of my good salary and comfortable position, and now that
- the inexplicability. As I wrote, each page was taken up
- had come across his northerly camp and he feared that they
- with me. Still I pressed on. I went from one to another
- by one whom I was compelled to admire, an artist, pale,
- turning which resulted in better material later on. At
- pouring into the cave of the dragon through the open door
- The man was burned beyond recovery. The oil had evidently
- but impossible thing to do. Later, however, after a trial,
- This proposal to read a story was new to me; I had not
- wall. He staggered down again; his remarkable physical
- come back without it! Don’t fall down! Don’t let the
- then marshaled themselves into curious lines and rhythms.
- I started. I tore the letter open and read with a sense
- ‘beware’ for nothing.” They were soon anxious for
- reason—but at the time I was weak or practical enough.
- needs. A group carrying the injured to the platform resented
- this, and awaiting the arrival of the hospital and wrecking
- They were approaching the river, and there was a fog to-night!
- But I made none. Instead I wavered between two horns of
- over my shoulder to where the poem was lying. “What you
- come to his room—the room, the studio—where he inflicted
- our tents. They were very civil, and offered us a house;
- I went to my desk and took up a pencil. I sat looking into
- I would forget or ignore nearly every tenet of fairness
- for an artist if the wreck was really important, and then
- good old blooms of northern Europe which My Dear had so
- belly, slightly gray hair, gruff and simple in his manner
- which makes and unmakes our visible scene is here and now
- Then I halted and gazed back, hearing at the same time
- steps were ahead of him, and then a long brick tunnel in
- did. I’m ex-champion of the world, defeated by that little
- the hunter stalking a wild animal immediately took possession
- called away, and I don’t blame you. I’m only sorry
- At certain seasons they catch also, in “corrales,”
- “I’m from the Globe,” I said. “I want to ask you——”